I think it’s extremely important to have guiding principles in various areas of your life. Such principles keep you grounded and help you to see the bigger picture when it’s so much easier to get caught up in the small stuff. I decided to share with you my top 10 relationship principles. You can read them below. These relationship principles simply serve as grounding reference points in my day to day life. Also, one should note, they aren’t specific to romantic relationships. I try to implement these principles in all of my interactions, across a variety of relationships.
What are your relationship principles? Let me know in the comments section below!
- Be honest and direct in your communication. You’ll be amazed at how many problems you can avoid by being direct and honest in your communication.
- Show vulnerability. Don’t try to be perfect; it’s isolating.
- Be clear about what you need and ask for what you want. People aren’t mind readers, so don’t expect them to be.
- Be grateful. Appreciate how this person adds to your life. What if she/he were to disappear tomorrow?
- Remember that what the other person thinks, feels, and does isn’t any of your business. Your business is what you think, feel, and do as it pertains to him/her.
- If there’s an elephant in the room, point it out. The sooner, the better.
- Keep your humor. Life’s not that serious.
- Listen more, talk less. Other people are our greatest teachers when we allow them to be. We weren’t given two ears and one mouth for nothing!
- Prioritize the relationship needs over your own. Don’t forget that there are three parties to every relationship. You, the other person, and the relationship itself!
- BE PRESENT! Probably the most important one of all. How can you experience the joy of true connection if your mind, body, and/or spirit is elsewhere?