The holidays are upon us and it’s the busiest time of the year! Maybe you dread this season because it’s stressful for you, or lonely, or triggering. Whatever the case may be, here’s 5 ways that you can ensure your holidays don’t become a holidaze. I hope everyone has a joyful thanksgiving!
1. Manage expectations. We can’t be everything to everyone. And we can’t be in multiple places at once. So once you have your plans in place, learn to say no. Try spacing plans out when you can, allowing yourself even more room to just be.
2. Practice gratitude. Take time each day to recognize what you’re thankful for. Better yet, write it down. And watch how your day improves. Practicing gratitude can relieve stress and deepen joy, so why aren’t we doing this every day?!
3. Serve others. The holidays are a wonderful time to give back and help others who are less fortunate! Volunteer opportunities and donation needs abound. When we serve others, we’re less likely to become absorbed in our own problems or preoccupied with our own stressors. It’s a win win!
4. Take time for yourself. Self care is always important, but especially so during the busy holiday season. Even taking just ten minutes a day for yourself, can do wonders for your mind. How are you supposed to be there for others, if you’re never there for yourself?
5. Avoid hot topics. These past couple of years have left us more polarized than ever. The holidays are a time to come together, so don’t ruin them by bringing up hot topics. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, and it’s important for people to research, think critically, and form their own opinions. But the holiday table just isn’t the time or place to be sharing them.
Christmas is just three days away. It’s my favorite holiday of the year! Naturally, I wanted to compile a list of some of my favorite quotes on Christmas to help us all get in the Christmas spirit!
“Want to keep Christ in Christmas? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, forgive the guilty, welcome the unwanted, care for the ill, love your enemies, and do unto others as you would have done unto you.”
― Steve Maraboli
“My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?”
― Bob Hope
“Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ”
― Norman Vincent Peale
“Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Cold streets, winter nights
Warm windows, wrapped with lights
Loneliness and hands that freeze
Mistletoes and sparkling trees
Santa Clause finds some, not all
Some are at the Christmas Ball
While some are huddled close together
Under bridges, facing weather
Some are warm, by a fire
Some at stores, the constant buyer
Some in Church, singing praise
Some are gone, been so for days
As you join family and friends
Think of all the faces that Christmas lends
And don’t complain, whatever you do
There’s always someone who has it worse than you.
Not Only Christmas Day
Lord, this is my prayer
Not only on Christmas Day
But until I see You face to face
May I live my life this way:
Just like the baby Jesus
I ever hope to be,
Resting in Your loving arms
Trusting in Your sovereignty.
And like the growing Christ child
In wisdom daily learning,
May I ever seek to know You
With my mind and spirit yearning.
Like the Son so faithful
Let me follow in Your light,
Meek and bold, humble and strong
Not afraid to face the night.
Nor cowardly to suffer
And stand for truth alone,
Knowing that Your kingdom
Awaits my going home.
Not afraid to sacrifice
Though great may be the cost,
Mindful how You rescued me
From broken-hearted loss.
Like my risen Savior
The babe, the child, the Son,
May my life forever speak
Of who You are and all You’ve done.
So while this world rejoices
And celebrates Your birth,
I treasure You, the greatest gift
Unequaled in Your worth.
I long to hear the same words
That welcomed home Your Son,
“Come, good and faithful servant,”
Your Master says, “Well done.”
And may heaven welcome others
Who will join with me in praise
Because I lived for Jesus Christ
Not only Christmas Day
— Mary Fairchild
“May you fall asleep in the arms of a dream,
you’ll wake up crying.”
I love you just the way you are
but you don’t see you like I do.
You shouldn’t try so hard to be perfect.
Trust me, perfect should try to be you.
“In the end, only three things matter; how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” -Buddha